Wednesday, March 4, 2009

GRANDPARENTS' HOUSE

DESCRIBE YOUR GRANDPARENTS' HOUSE. DID YOU VISIT THEM OFTEN? WHY OR WHY NOT?

My paternal grandparents were gone before I was born. My grandfather died when my dad was 12 years old, so he was pretty well supported and took care of by his mom (some help from married brothers). My grandmother died before I was born.

My maternal grandparents lived in Gratis, Ohio, just over the border of Kentucky and lived a lot like the Kentuckians; no water, etc.

I remember my mother moving there after dad passed away. She had a house built; bathroom and all, but couldn't use it. They collected rain water for general use, but had to walk downtown and carry water from a well for cooking and drinking.

We didn't see them often enough that I really didn't get to know them well because of the distance. The first time I remember seeing them was my uncle's funeral. I was in 8th grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment